About Me

My photo
Baba Kevin Bullard serves as the Executive Director for the Afrikan Centered Education Collegium Campus, an independent Pre K-12th grade public contract school situated in a multiplex of three building on a unified 40 acre campus. Baba Bullard has authored and conducted professional development in Afrikan Centered curriculum and design, culturally relevant strategies and approaches, educational leadership, Afrikan Centered learning assessments, human relations, teacher training, and Afrikan centered pedagogy. His current project involves developing an accreditation, credentialing and licensure process for teachers and institutions demonstrating excellence in Afrikan Centered Education practices. His other interests include social, ethnic and cultural research areas that relate to human development, child development, urban educational school reform and transformational systems. He is currently pursuing an Ed.D in Educational Administration through the University of Missouri, Kansas City’s Division of Urban Leadership and Policy Studies in Education.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Education, Mis-Education and Missed Education: Part One

An article entitled, “The Missed Education of Papa Dallas” circulated through the Afrikan Centered Community several years ago from Robert Franklin’s book “Crisis in the Village: Restoring Hope in African American Communities.” The article researched from the Federal Writers Project, which is archived in the Library of Congress is one of many historical recorded accounts on the life experiences of former slaves. One of the more powerful testimonies comes from a recording by Tonea Stewart, who recalls a conversation with her grandfather Papa Dallas on the importance of learning to read and getting a good education. The recording goes,

“When I was a little girl about five or six years old, I used to sit on the garret, the front porch.  In the Mississippi Delta the front porch is called the garret.  I listened to my Papa Dallas.  He was blind and had these ugly scars around his eyes.  One day, I asked Papa Dallas what happened to his eyes.

“Well Daughter,” he answered, “when I was mighty young, just about your age.  I used to steal away under a big oak tree and I tried to learn my alphabets so that I could learn to read my Bible.  But one day the overseer caught me and he drug me out on the plantation and he called out for all the field hands.  And he turned to ‘em and said, ‘Let this be a lesson to all of you darkies.  You ain’t got no right to learn to read!’  And then daughter, he whooped me, and he whooped me, and he whooped me.  And daughter, as if that wasn’t enough, he turned around and he burned my eyes out!”

At that instant, I began to cry.  The tears were streaming down my cheeks, meeting under my chin.  But he cautioned, “Don’t you cry for me now, daughter.  Now you listen to me.  I want you to promise me one thing. Promise me that you gonna pick up every book you can and you gonna read it form cover to cover. You see, today daughter, ain’t nobody gonna whip you or burn your eyes out because you want to learn to read.  Promise me that you gonna go all the way through school, as far as you can.”

Another poignant reflection on education comes from Dr. Carter G. Woodson’s classic book The Miseducation of the Negro. Dr. Woodson, known as the father of Black History Month originally published this book in 1933. Just as relevant today as when first written, Dr. Woodson offers the premise that under the current system of education African Americans are trained rather than educated in schools. Dr. Woodson’s research asserts that the system of mis-education uses internal controls to teach inherent dependency, indoctrination and inferiority. According to Dr. Woodson, training produces self-inculcated attitudes, behaviors and actions that are in direct contradiction to higher-level thinking and are more appropriate to lower level learning and social obedience. Dr. Woodson states that,

"When you effectively control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He will find his 'proper place' and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary.”  Woodson, 1933

Afrikan Centered Education is the cultural counter-measure against mis-education and the remedy for those who missed education. Afrikan Centered Education repairs the historical wounds and cultural ruptures known as Maafa. To initate healing from the Maafa requires Sankofa practices vital to cultural self-knowledge. In Part Two of, Education, Mis-Education, Missed Education, a self-study reading guide is recommended in assisting with the re-connection and re-storation of Afrikan Centered psycho-social educational foundations.